It’s no shocker that I grill almost everything. Here, you take one of my favorite vegetables, and make it outright rock! Grilling asparagus gives it a great flavor that is superior to steaming, and certainly better than boiling. Another huge plus is that it’s extremely fast, taking a fraction of the time that other methods do. I had recently served grilled asparagus as a side to my bacon wrapped quail breasts. If your grill is buried in snow, or it’s nasty outside, you can get a similar result if you put the marinated asparagus on a baking tray and put it in your oven on high-broil. Go with the grill if you can. The result is definitely tastier.
- Prep: about 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 1 1/2 to 3 minutes (depends on the size of the asparagus and how hot your grill gets)
Cooking Method and Temp:
- Direct Cooking
- High: about 500 degrees
- Baggie for marinating the asparagus
- Grill tongs
- (Optional) Grill basket or tray
- Your favorite oil-based dressing or olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill to high with the basket on the grate
- If you don’t have a basket, cover your grate with aluminum foil and poke some holes in it with a fork
- Marinate asparagus with the dressing or olive oil, with just enough to coat for 5 – 10 minutes
- Once the grill is preheated, add the asparagus to the grill basket.
- Turn the asparagus regularly until slightly limp (1 – 3 minutes)
- Remove the asparagus and serve immediately
That’s it! This is a really easy one and I serve it with everything from steak to chicken to wild game. Here a video walk-through of the whole process.